.................

Welcome to SIMPLY DELECTABLE COOKING

I have created this blog for my sisters and I to share our most prized, favorite, or just everyday recipes. The purpose is to get our families favorite recipes put all together. Since our mother passed away in 2009, I have missed being able to call her and get her delicious recipes, so this is a way for my sisters and I to come together to share what we have.

I hope you all enjoy the recipes that are posted!

9/23/11

Red Beans & Rice

From the kitchen of Mandy Davis

2 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
4 cups chicken broth
2 cloves garlic
2 bay leaves
1 can diced tomatoes
1 jar pimentos
1 large green pepper, diced
1 large red pepper, diced
1 large onion, diced
1 cup celery
1/2 cup diced green chilies
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vinegar
1/4 cup parsley
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1 link of sausage, cut into bite-size pieces

Cooked rice

Boil all ingredients (except rice) in a large pot.  (Most of the ingredients can be optional.)  Reduce the heat and simmer on low for at least one hour with the lid partially on.  You also have the option to put it all in a Crock Pot and cook on low all day, or high for 3 or 4 hours.  The Crock Pot option will keep it soupier.  This dish keeps well and tastes better after a day in the fridge.  Serve over rice with hot, buttery cornbread on the side.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

Jeanae and Mike said...

As you can tell in the picture, I did not use pinto beans, as I can't find them here. I used 4 can of kidney beans - 2 light and 2 dark. My friend also made this tonight, and used a dry white bean that is available here. She soaked them, then cooked them for an hour before adding them. Hers also turned out great! I did not add the sausage this time, and all the leftovers are being frozen into individual portions for easy lunches when it's cold.

Cami and Jer said...

I really wish my kids liked beans more! Although, they may have to start so they don't starve when I make all these great recipes you're posting!